Cambridge Big Data invites suggestions for interdisciplinary workshops. The aim of the workshops are to promote interactions between researchers across Cambridge, and to identify key interdisciplinary challenges in big data research, that we will adopt and promote via the Strategic Research Initiative.
These may be linked to any of the research themes within Cambridge Big Data, may cut across these, or may focus on a different aspect entirely. We are looking for exciting ideas where further research is needed, particularly those requiring cross-disciplinary collaboration. Applications from groups or individuals are welcomed. Click here to apply
The outcomes will be strengthened networks, intellectual exchange and the development of new interdisciplinary project ideas. Workshops will receive the support of the Initiative and Coordinator in identifying funding opportunities for the resulting projects.
Please note that to propose a workshop, you must be a member of the Cambridge Big Data Strategic Research Initiative.
- Seed funding for workshop (up to £500), to cover catering, room hire and costs of workshop administration. As the workshops are primarily intended to support interdisciplinary collaboration across Cambridge, travel expenses for speakers will not normally be covered.
- Support for workshop planning and administration
- Access to the big data network to attract participants or identify collaborators
- Post-workshop support in identifying funding sources
You must provide:
- A title and short description of the workshop theme, clearly identifying the cross-cutting challenges, the context of the proposal and the benefit to collaboration across disciplines (including which disciplines you expect to be included). Please include a justification for the workshop proposed – why is it timely, novel and what will it deliver?
- Name and contact details of the workshop organiser and nomination of a workshop chair
- Suggestions of speakers, particularly from across the Initiative (please first consult the member directory: http://www.bigdata.cam.ac.uk/directory). Speakers should be a mixture of PIs and postdocs.
- Details of any matched funding provided. Matched funding is not a requirement, but increases the likelihood that your proposal will be supported, and could be used, for example, to support travel expenses for an external speaker.
- A report, after the event, on the outcomes of the workshop and your future plans
Click here to apply (Raven login required)